A long line of health secrets can be discovered within the deep territory of Chinese medicine. Western society has slowly but surely been integrating this type of medicine into its system of healing but certain types of herbal medicine remain shrouded in mystery. Listed below are some of the most commonly used herbal remedies for the treatment of an inflammatory skin disease known as psoriasis:
1. Acupuncture – A recent acupuncture study in which 115 people all suffering from psoriasis participated, acupuncture needles was used for around 30 minutes to treat their condition. The number of needles used depended on each person. The treatment lasted between 30 – 50 days. Results showed that 25 subjects experienced complete recovery, 54 manifested significant improvement, 19 experienced moderate improvements, and 17 did not show any improvement at all.
2. Acupoint Catgut Embedding – This type of Chinese medicine is used for a wide range of conditions, including ulcerative colitis and epilepsy. During an acupuncture procedure, surgical catgut is threaded through the needle. (Catgut is a very strong string used for harps, violin and other string instruments.) The needle is pricked into certain areas of the body that have been anesthetized, and the catgut is left in the deep tissues. A study that was repeated thrice within a span of two months showed that among participants who took 12 g of tsing dai (indigo) once a day, 18 manifested marked improvements while compete recovery was seen in 24 of them.
3. Tui Yin Tang – This is an herbal formula made up of nine plants. Additional herbs of dan pi, shi gao, and fu ling are included in this mix for patients with active psoriasis. For patients with the stationary disease, cucuma root yu jin, e zhu, and san leng are added. In a study involving tui yin tang, 49 patients experienced full recovery, 43 manifested substantial improvements, 10 showed mild improvements, and four did not respond to the treatment at all.
4. Tu Huai Yin – This herbal remedy is made up of 11 different herbs. This formula is taken in liquid form. In one study 62 patients drank a decoction of 600 ml once a day. After two weeks, the researchers mixed the tu huai yin formula with other herbs. The decoction was then used to wash the scaly red skin of the subjects for an hour each night. Complete cure of psoriasis was seen in 46 participants, 4 showed no improvement, while a dozen showed some signs of improvement all after 15 to 60 days of treatment.
5. Yin Hsiao San – Herbs such as sheng di huang, tsing dai (indigo), niu huang, tu fu ling, chen pi, bai hsian, and rhubarb (da huang) make up this herbal remedy. In a study involving 200 patients with psoriasis, researchers used 7.5 g, thrice a day on all patients. A month after, 20 showed mild improvements, 36 moderate improvements, and 70 experienced a full recovery.
6. Hsiao Yin Pian – This formula is composed of a dozen plants and is considered the best Chinese cure for psoriasis. It’s extremely effective in relieving asthma and allergies both of which are associated with an inflammatory reaction in the body, much like psoriasis. In a study in which 200 psoriasis patients participated, the treatment of Hsiao Yin Pian led to the full recovery of 48% of these patients, symptomatic improvement of 38%, and 17% who experienced no improvement at all. The treatment lasted two months.
Dova Center for Health and Healing
972 W Dillon Rd
Louisville, CO 80027